Monday, May 21, 2012

crafting back my happy

This weekend was the first busy weekend we've had since we've been back to Chicago. Friday night hubby had a show. He is a drummer and one of his bands had a gig playing at an art show opening. It was super hipster but fun, since we hadn't been out for one of his shows in a while. Saturday night was one of our friend's birthday so we went down to Bridgeport to celebrate. That was awesome because I hadn't seen that group of friends in a very long time, and I love them and miss them so much. THEN on Sunday was one of my girlfriend's bridal shower. That is why I was crafty. We were supposed to wear a hat or a fascinator and since I'm budget-conscious I chose to make my fascinator.

I love Pinterest. Don't you? I used Pinterest to scope out lots of DIY fascinator ideas and check out plenty of instructions. This is one of the websites that I used to help me make my headband. Here are a few shots of the fascinator I made.





The great thing is I made my fascinator out of materials that I already had:
-thin metal headband
-wired ribbon (I save all my ribbon from gift packages)
-dried flowers
-butterfly embellishment

I cut out a base using thin cardboard (from an old folder that I was saving to reuse/recycle). I actually sewed the cardboard onto the headband. This did cause the base to slide up and down the headband, but I used a bobby-pin to secure the base in my hair once I decided where I liked it.

Yay for craftiness! It makes me happy. The other thing that makes me happy is just enjoying what my neighborhood has to offer. There was a kite festival at the Montrose Harbor which is where we normally walk our chihuahua, Cheeto. We took an extra long stroll and did some people and kite watching. It was a lovely Saturday afternoon.



All in all, I had a great weekend. I hope you did too! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment