Tuesday, July 10, 2012

slightly introverted

This past year has caused me to look inside and ask who am I and what do I have to offer, in terms of both being a professional and in terms of the relationships I have with those around me. I have high standards for what I want, again, both professionally and from my friends and family. But do I always deliver to those same standards?

I admit I am human, I have flaws, so I know I do not ALWAYS live up to the highest of standards. But I certainly try and when I know I have faulted I try to make things right.

I am currently trying to improve on certain skills. Recently in an interview I was asked the dreaded question, "What sets you apart from the many others who have applied for this position?" I hate that question. I do not puff myself up well. I hate talking about how allegedly awesome I am, how I am allegedly better than anyone else. But I know where I need to improve. For one, my writing. I know that to become a better writer it is important to read.

I am not necessarily talking about becoming a better legal writer. That is its own beast that yes, I need to improve. One of the reasons I write this blog is to improve my writing. I do not know where I will end up professionally. I often wonder if I will ever be that courtroom trial lawyer that I dream about. But in the meantime, I can at least read more often, think about styles of writing and try to become a better writer.

I recently picked up a book I haven't read since high school: Fahrenheit 451. This book reminded me the importance of reading and seeking out new ideas, new points of view. To think for ourselves is to survive in this world of instant information and entertainment.

While this post may not make the most sense (again, I am trying to improve on writing!!!) what I'm trying to say is, I've been thinking a lot about a lot of different things. I am looking for ways to improve and the first place I am going to start is by simply taking a step back and taking an objective look at myself. I want to improve my mind and I know reading and writing are good exercises. Everything else will come with time.

Thanks for reading. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment