Thursday, July 5, 2012

decisions, decisions, part 1

I've been busy the last week or so working a short term project. One of the tough things about working these projects is we literally sit and stare at the computer for 8+ hours a day. Rough on the body, eyes and mind. By the time I get home I have no desire to jump on the computer for anything such as looking for a full time position, much less blogging. But that job finished up on Tuesday and yesterday was a holiday (that I didn't really celebrate, more on that later), and today I had an interview.

You know that saying, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it? Well, hello, smack on the forehead, it's true. One time on our walk in the park, I told hubby, "I just want to be on a long term project, at least 3 or 4 months, so I can have some stability."

On some off chance that I'd be even considered for this job, I applied for a document review project out in Denver, CO that is slated to go for about 9-12 months. Well, guess what? I was offered the job. So now we have this huge decision to make. Part of me says, "go for it." Part of me says, "it'll be too hard to move across the country with little to no planning, or money for that matter."

The part of me that says, "go for it" is the same part that uttered the words, "I'm fed up with the job market here in Chicago." And to be true to myself, I am. I started looking for another job before the holidays last year, long before the shit hit the fan and I ended up in my current situation. I've had a steady flow of interviews, but never an offer. I've also had a small amount of experience in document review - 3 total projects. And I've hustled my way into having 2 of my own clients. Yet we live paycheck to paycheck and I am nowhere closer to finding a permanent position.

There's also a part of me that is totally enamored with the idea of moving out west. I see this as an opportunity explore the region, network and at least be geographically in the area where there are opportunities to practice Indian Law. My hubby is all for the move. I was telling my friend about my opportunity and said, "He's all heart and I'm all brain." We've made big moves before, once from Tennessee to Orlando, then from Orlando to Chicago. But those moves were well thought out and planned for, months in advance.  I am very uncertain of how this move would occur, logistically speaking. I'm just terrified of making the wrong decision.

At the very least, I'm going to sleep on it.


2 comments:

  1. omg! I was *no lie* just thinking about how beautiful Denver is! I just pinned a picture of it! cue Twilight Zone music! Go for it girl, or go with your gut at least. I have another book for you as soon as I'm done with it. I was reading it up in the Apostle Islands thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm. I'm thinking about going with my gut...

    ReplyDelete