Tuesday, February 5, 2013

New Year, New Me!

I'm sure you're snarkily commenting to yourself, "New Year? it's February." Yes. I know. February. It is well past time to say "new year" but alas, I am late. Oh, well.

It IS a new me. I can say so with confidence because I am currently on Day 4 of being unemployed and having a fabulous time! Last year I could barely make it to Day 2 without having a nervous breakdown.

For those of you who may have just stumbled upon this blog and maybe you are once again snarkily commenting to yourself "Day 4? Whoop-di-do," here's a "previously on..."  I'm a contract attorney. I work on temporary assignments. Sometimes they last for a week, sometimes months. But when I was new to this, I was in a bad place in my life and NEEDED certainty from a job. So when a day or two would pass and I wasn't already lined up for a project, I'd freak out.

Today is Day 4 and there is nothing lined up. Except for a visit to the museum tomorrow because a) I'm unemployed and have nothing better to do, 2) it's free, so why not, and C) it's hubby's day off and we rarely do stuff like that, so why not.

So what's changed? My outlook on life. Cliche. But true. I recently re-discovered Buddhism and it has changed everything for me. I am excited about learning about the teachings, the sutras. I try to apply them to my everyday life, not just my Sundays. It's hard sometimes, being a lawyer and a Buddhist. But I'm always searching for balance in that part of my life.

Mostly I am just grateful for what I have today, this moment. Today I have these beautiful golden beets that I roasted for what I hope to be a lovely beet and hummus stuffed pita dinner. Aren't they beautiful?


Roasted beets:

4 medium to large sized beets
coconut oil
dried thyme

pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
wash beets
pat dry
cut enough foil for each beet
put a small dab (1/2 tsp maybe?) of coconut oil on each beet
sprinkle dried thyme on beet and wrap beet in foil
place the beets on a baking sheet
bake in oven about an hour and a half, checking with a toothpick. toothpick should easily slide in and out of beet.
while beets are still warm but cool enough to handle the skin should easily peel off.

i will be making beet and hummus pitas with some greenery and balsamic vinegar. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment