Sunday, June 10, 2012

Healthy = Happy

Lately I've been focusing on eating more healthy and trying to squeeze in some exercise. I was concerned that returning to running wouldn't help my weight loss problem, so instead I returned to yoga. I took yoga classes years ago but since then found plenty of excuses not to have time to practice yoga. Until now. Someone told me once that you'll never have time for anything unless you make time for it. So true. I MADE time. I found free videos online and I practice every other day during the week and both days on the weekends. This has really helped me get my stress level under control and I feel so much happier already.

As far as eating healthy, I've always tried to eat healthy. I don't eat red meat and rarely eat pork, fish or chicken. So I guess that kinda means I'm a vegetarian. But I put the emphasis on try to eat healthy, because like anyone else, I love junk food.

Lately I've been on a smoothie kick. I buy whatever fruit is fresh and that's what I use to make smoothies for breakfast.






I don't really follow a recipe to make my smoothies, but here's how I make 'em:

Pour enough soy milk in the blender to cover the blades and just a bit more.
2 heaping spoonfuls of plain greek yogurt. (I've tried them all and my favorite is Fage!)
a handful of fresh fruits (the smoothie pictured was made with raspberries and a small peach)
a hearty squirt of honey

Pulse and blend until well mixed!

I find this a healthy way to start out the day, as opposed to the lonely cup of coffee I used to call breakfast.

Have I mentioned that my hubby is a trained chef? Well, he is. And he does most of the cooking. But check out the gourmet baked potatoes I made for dinner last week.
I followed this recipe from America's Test Kitchen after watching the show. They turned out super creamy! I love to eat the skins too, and these skins were crispy and flavorful.

And finally, last week there was a full moon. If you've read my earlier posts, you know that I like to check out the fun and free things to do in this great city. One of the coolest monthly events we've found right in our neighborhood is the Full Moon Fire Jam. It's a super hippie gathering where there are fire dancers and a drum circle and plenty of people watching.  Here are a few shots I took of the full moon on our walk home.


Hope you all have a fabulous week. Start it off right with a healthy breakfast! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment